Thursday, April 16, 2009

Field Trip #1

Because I'm moving in about a month, and because my homework is DONE!, and because it's national poetry month, and because I just feel like it......I'm taking myself on "field trips" in the area to see all the things I have not had the opportunity to see and enjoy during my three years in Massachusetts. So, Monday was a beautiful and was the beginning of a series of "field trips" to come in the upcoming weeks! Hope you enjoy the journey with me!

Stop Number #1 - Lexington-Concord, the road to the revolution!

Old North Bridge in Concord....location where the "shot heard round the world" and the war began!

The Old North Bridge

On the road to Lexington...following the road the British troops fled away from the colonial troops, I encountered first the home of Ralph Waldo Emerson (hence the poetry month)

Emerson's house.....obviously under renovation

The School of Philosophy started by Dr. Alcott (Louisa May's father) in the 1800's

The Alcott's "Orchard House"....just in front of the school of philosophy and "home" of "The Little Women"

The Alcott's "Wayside" home and later home of Nathaniel Hawthorne

A Tavern on the Battle Road to Lexington

The Battle Green in Lexington where the first little episodes of fighting began....but the war had not yet broken out


Stop #2: Walden Pond! Home of Henry David Thoreau

Replica of Thoreau's tiny cabin in the woods

Location of the cabin along the pond

View of the pond from the cabin site...through the trees!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the pics Emily.
Fun to follow your travels.
Love,
Dad

Dulcinator said...

Hurray for soaking up your last moments in a great historically intriguing place! Way to be, gal!