Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Ran for Her Life

This past weekend I had the privilege of participating in an awesome event for an incredible cause. I took it upon myself to train for a 5K, with the help of a spectacular correspondence trainer Angie Gooding. Check her out here...seriously, you'll be better for it! She's an awesome trainer and an even more awesome person. I'll tell you more about her later. So, I trained for this 5K because I've tried to sign up for races and complete them in the past and something has always stood in the way of me completing them...mostly my knees. However, this past weekend it all came together.



Samaritan Village
, a transitional home for women with the desire to walk away from addiction and street life, hosted "Run for Her Life 5K"...catchy title, I know. This was an event to raise awareness of the many needs in our community, particularly that of women who need some support and help getting on their feet. Consequently, I ran for her life, the woman who cannot run for herself, or even speak for herself and the help she might need. I was reminded as I ran of the blazing Florida heat at 7:30am, but more importantly of the privileges I have been given throughout life. I was blessed with a good upbringing, parents who love me unconditionally, and resources that a majority of the world does not even see. Knowing what this race was all about made it so much easier to endure the humid Florida summer morning and run for the sake of someone else, not just my own physique. Check out their website here if you'd like to know more about Samaritan Village or how you can help in prayer and participation.

No comments: