Monday, March 17, 2008

St. Patrick's Day in Boston!

South Boston goes crazy for St. Patrick's day! We have a very high population of Irish-Americans around her and people line the streets to get into South Boston for the festivities. Every year on the Sunday closest to St. Patty's day there is a big parade about 3 blocks from my house. So, this year we stopped by after church! Here are some of the highlights:

Angie (my roommate), her brother Lee, and our friend Michelle

Folks lined up along the road dressed in lots of green

Boston police showed up in great number! (I'm not sure if anyone was actually working that day...let's hope there wasn't too much crime and under-aged drinking!)

One of the many groups of bagpiper and drum groups!

The Celtics Cheerleaders on the Boston Duck tour boat

St. Patrick himself...the letters underneath said, "Saint Patrick Blesses Us"...we'll see how that turns out

Following St. Patty was the Budweiser cart with the beautiful horses (go figure)

Sam Adams Brewery Trolley...and Sam

There was quite a Star Wars crew...Darth Vader even showed up...I have no idea what the connection is but apparently since the Red Sox won two world series in recent years we are now known as the "Evil Empire"...yep, I'm serious


The consequences of all the drinking.....20 cops on motorcycles showed up at the neighbors...who were sporting a flag of Ireland and who were sitting on the porch at 10am this morning having some Bud light as I walked to my car....oh, what a holiday...I'm sure St. Patrick is proud....or scratching his head in disbelief

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved the photos. Looks like a fun parade!

Love,
Mom