Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Eilat!

The time had come for the girls and I to get off campus and spend some time away. We rented a little Hyndai Getz, affectionately nicknamed the "baby g", and I had the pleasure of driving us down to Eilat. The little tourist trap of a town is at the very southern tip of Israel just bordering Egpyt and Jordan. We was so nice to sit by the beach, read, and rest over the past weekend. We did have a bit of an adventure when we got pulled over for speeding 20 minutes from town....I didn't have a clue what the speed limit sign was, or what it even looked like. The cop started yelling in Hebrew when he came to the window and I politely asked for English. He then seemed to become friendly enough and asked me if I knew the speed limit. He then checked our papers and told me to get out of the car. At this point I thought we were in over our heads, but he merely wanted to show me his radar and fill me in on what the speed limit signs looked like. Apparently I had confused what I thought was the sign telling us what road we were on, 90, when it was actually the speed limit, 90 kilometers an hour. He then attempted to take down my license number, which he only wrote down half of it, and then had a hard time writing down my name in Hebrew. We were told by his partner, "if you loose control out here, only death". At any rate, death did not take place and we managed to make it there and back safe. The water was cool but the sun was very hot....it was a great weekend!


The Red Sea and Jordan off to the distance


Red Sea close to sunset with Egpyt off in the distance

Ashley, Me, Jenna, and Natalie

They had a fish restaurant there named, "Boston" and this little boat sitting outside....so funny

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh. In the photo, Ashley looks incredibly like Ashley Bergman. Does she in real life?

Your trip to Eilat looked and sounded like so much fun! Getting pulled over by the police makes for a good story...now that you are back to school safe and sound!

Love you,
Mom