Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I'm a little late....

but it's better late than never!!


I love my mom! Most of us had the joy of celebrating Mother's day this past weekend and although I didn't get to be with my mom in person, I loved sharing a few laughs and special moments with her over the phone. I made her open my gift while she was on the phone and I could still hear in her voice, what her face must have looked like as she read my card and opened the package I had sent.

I was listening to NPR radio in the car today (much to the chagrin of my roommate who isn't a fan of talk radio....something I got from my mom, I should mention) and they did a segment that highlighted the relationship people have with their mothers. The study conducted tested the stress levels of students preparing to give a speech and how the consolation of their mothers impacted their stress levels. One group was comforted with their mother's touch and voice, while the second group was consoled simply by the sound of their mother's voice. The group that only heard their mother's voice had almost identical drops in their stress levels compared to the first group of both touch and voice.

I have had the pleasure of finding great peace in the sound of my mother's voice. Although many people in this world hear messages of hate, bitterness, anger, and painful discontentment in the voice of their mothers, I have been blessed to consistently hear peace, pride, wisdom, counsel, joy, laughter, patience, and love, in mine. These days many miles separate me from being comforted by the touch of my mother on a consistent basis, but the sound of her voice never ceases to disarm, provide peace, laughter, wisdom, and joy to my life.

I love ya mama....and am so grateful I got you!

P.S. Although we both have squinting faces in this photo...I still like the excitement in it...and I need a better one of the two of us! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'd love to meet your mom. Haha! Seriously, I am so humbled by your post. I am amazed that you and your sister turned out so well, in spite of me! I absolutely adore our relationship and our time spent across the airwaves and when we are close enough to touch. Thank you using your gift of communicating to honor me. I love you!

Love,
Mom