Friday, May 7, 2010

Rwanda in July

Hey friends,

For those who don't know by now (which truth be told, few people check this outside those who know most details in my life) I'm joining a group of other ministry leader in the Florida United Methodist conference on a trip to Rwanda. We're traveling with Zoe ministry and learning about how they help those orphaned by AIDS. Zoe, alongside their African friends in Rwanda, have developed the "giving hope" project which offer micro-loans to orphans (things like pigs, money, tools to farm, etc.) and trains them to be successful in their communities. By three years from the giving of the loan, most orphan communities are self-sufficient and self-sustaining. It's incredible that it's usually a bunch of older teens that are the heads of the house, guiding and being the main caregivers in these communities. If you want to learn more, head to www.zoeministry.org and read up!


I can't imagine what I'm going to experience in a few short months. I'm exactly two months away from my trip and can barely wrap my head around the idea that I'm going. I imagine it is a trip that will challenge me, grieve me, inspire me, and encourage me. At this point, I'm asking that God will create the expectations I ought to have in my soul, that I might really embrace whatever He has in mind for this trip. I just know it's going to be awesome!!

In the meantime....I'm off to get more of my vaccination shots for the trip!! Good thing needles don't make me nervous! On today's list: tetanus, hepatitis B booster, hepatitis A...wish me luck!

No comments: